The Cisco® Catalyst® 2960-Plus Series Switches are fixed-configuration Fast Ethernet switches (Figure 1) that provide enterprise-class Layer 2 switching for branch offices, conventional workspaces, and infrastructure applications. They enable reliable and secure operations with lower total cost of ownership through a range of Cisco IOS® software features, including Cisco Catalyst Smart Operations.
Applications and Benefits
The Cisco Catalyst 2960-Plus Series provides cost-effective, enterprise class Ethernet switching for:
- Branch offices, remote sites, and retail locations
- Conventional desktop workspaces
- Building infrastructure, physical security, and other nontraditional access applications
Benefits of the 2960-Plus include:
- Robust quality of service (QoS) that prioritizes voice and critical business applications
- Flexible security features that can limit access to the network and mitigate threats
- Tools that reduce total cost of ownership through simplified operations and automation
The Cisco Catalyst 2960-Plus Series Switches provide a range of security features to limit access to the network and mitigate threats, including:
- Features to control access to the network, including Flexible Authentication, 802.1x Monitor Mode, and RADIUS Change of Authorization
- Threat defense features including Port Security, Dynamic ARP Inspection, and IP Source Guard
- Private VLAN Edge to provide isolation between switch ports
For more information about Cisco security solutions, visit cisco.com/go/trustsec.
Enterprise-Class Quality of Service
The Cisco 2960-Plus Series Switches offer intelligent traffic management that keeps everything flowing smoothly. Flexible mechanisms for marking, classification, and scheduling deliver superior performance for data, voice, and video traffic, all at wire speed. Primary QoS features include:
- Four egress queues per port and strict priority queuing so that the highest priority packets are serviced ahead of all other traffic
- Shaped Round Robin (SRR) scheduling and Weighted Tail Drop (WTD) congestion avoidance
- Flow-based rate limiting and up to 64 aggregate or individual policers per port
- 802.1p class of service (CoS) and differentiated services code point (DSCP) field classification, with marking and reclassification on a per-packet basis by source and destination IP address, MAC address, or Layer 4 TCP/UDP port number.
Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations
Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations is a comprehensive set of capabilities that simplify LAN planning, deployment, monitoring, and troubleshooting. Deploying SmartOperations tools reduces the time and effort required to operate the network and lowers total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Cisco Smart Install enables zero-touch deployment by providing automated Cisco IOS Software image installation and configuration when new switches are connected to the network.
- Cisco Auto Smartports enables automatic configuration of switch ports as devices connect to the switch, with settings optimized for the device type.
- Cisco Smart Troubleshooting is an extensive array of diagnostic commands and system health checks within the switch, including Smart Call Home.
For more information about Cisco Catalyst SmartOperations, visit cisco.com/go/smartoperations.
Cisco EnergyWise empowers IT teams to measure and manage the power consumed by devices connected to the network, providing measurable energy savings and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. EnergyWise policies can be used to control the power consumed by PoE-powered endpoints, desktop and data-center IT equipment, and a wide range of building infrastructure. EnergyWise technology is included on all Cisco Catalyst 2960-Plus Series Switches.
For more information about Cisco EnergyWise, visit cisco.com/go/energywise.
Power over Ethernet
Cisco Catalyst 2960-Plus switches support IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) to deliver lower total cost of ownership for deployments that incorporate Cisco IP phones, Cisco Aironet wireless access points, or other standards-compliant PoE end devices. PoE removes the need to supply wall power to PoE-enabled devices and eliminates the cost of adding electrical cabling and circuits that would otherwise be necessary in IP phone and WLAN deployments. Table 2 shows the total PoE power available with each 2960-Plus model.
Cisco IOS Software
Cisco Catalyst 2960-Plus Series Switches are available with the LAN Base and LAN Lite feature sets. LAN Lite models provide reduced functionality and scalability for small deployments with basic requirements. Note that each switch model is tied to a specific feature level; LAN Lite models cannot be upgraded to the LAN Base feature set.
For more information about the features included in the LAN Base and LAN Lite feature sets, refer to Cisco Feature Navigator: http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN.